TPN Discussion Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William, Jun 9, 2018.

?

What should we do?

1. Push forward on OSPX development (by myself, would take months to complete)

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Swap to focusing on the 742 and load OSRS data for a mixture of OSRS and Pre-EOC (easier)

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Quit the RSPS scene completely, focus on other games for TPN

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Close The Prodigy Network completely

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. William

William
  2. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

Hello prodigies,

I know it's been quite a while since you've heard from me and a lot has changed while I've been gone. I'm sure you're all tired of both the lack of transparency regarding The Prodigy Network and all of the apologies over the past several months. The truth is things have change a lot for myself in the past six months. I've taken on a lot of new responsibilities at my irl job and have been working 50+ hours a week for the past few months. This has left me with very little time for hobbies, and the time that I do have at the end of the day I don't necessarily want to spend programming more as that's what I do all day long at my job. Fortunately now that it is the start of the summer things are going to slow down a bit for me and I'm finally confident I'll have more time for hobbies.

The Prodigy Network as a whole never really came to fruition after we first started it last summer. It is in my opinion an awesome idea but it was never fully executed on for various reasons (lack of leadership from myself, lack of support from the community).

1. ProdigyCraft had a glimpse of success for a few months but our team was not able to continue that. Unfortunately today I announce that the team has been dissolved and the server is going offline until we can figure out a new path to take (and someone who wants to run it).
    2. Prodigy-X had great success its first ~6 months back online, with a few thousand users per month, but also died quickly due to mistakes on my part and a dying Pre-EOC RSPS community. The 742 now only has a few dozens users per week.
    3. OSPX was supposed to be our way back into the RSPS community but the project has been slowly inching along, with no progress in the past 12 days. And unfortunately, I have to announce to you today that @Tom has left the OSPX development team to pursue his new summer job.

As you can see things have really fallen apart the past ~3 months, which is understandable due to the fact that I've not been around to provide leadership and move things along (to be fair I've also not really had any help from anyone). I was sort of hoping that the community members we have left would be more interested and would help out, but I've not seen anyone take action thus far. This has left me to assume that our members are simply not interested enough. We've all grown older, gotten full-time jobs, found new interests, moved on to new games, etc. I understand because I'm at the same point in my life.

So, I'm left with some tough decisions to make and I would really like the remaining community members to provide their input and help me out. When I first founded this community in 2012, over six years ago, I never thought it would still be around today. But it is still here for a reason - because many of you keep coming back for more, to socialize with new and old friends, play games, etc. Just like there is a sense of nostalgia around Oldschool RuneScape, there is a sense of nostalgia around Prodigy-X and this community. I want you to be included in every decision I make, and today we need to make a decision for the future of this community. What should we do? Are you interested in helping keep this community alive? Please take a look at some of the poll responses below, take a vote and leave your feedback.

Thanks,

William

P.S. I want to be transparent about what it currently costs to run TPN on a monthly basis. The past 2 months this money has been coming out of my pocket because our donations have been cut to nearly nothing. I am willing to continue this for another month if the community starts showing support and we can start growing our gaming services again. I also want you to know that running this community and our gaming services is no longer about making money for me like it was many years ago (I make plenty of money at my irl job now).

Website hosting: $35 USD/month (renews July 8th)
    Prodigy-X hosting: $95 USD/month (renews June 31st)
    ProdigyCraft hosting: $70 USD/month (renews June 21st)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Eric, Triage, Fusimalo and 2 others like this.
  3. William

William
  4. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

P.S. I wanted to give a special thank you to the Minecraft team for their efforts in trying to revive ProdigyCraft. I know you all really wanted to bring it back this summer but it just wasn't happening. Maybe in the future.

@Novalto @Magilicious @bencerda1 @Chase

And a special thank you to @Tom for helping with OSPX since February. Best of luck at your new job.

Magilicious likes this.
  5. William

William
  6. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

UPDATE: I forgot to mention as well that although the ProdigyCraft team has left, the server will remain online until June 21st when our dedicated server goes up for renewal. If before then we can find a new team and hosting money, then it will stay online. You can still play via the IP: prodigycraft.net

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Magilicious likes this.
  7. Magilicious

Magilicious
  8. Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016

I would still be very much interested in being part of it. If there are people interested in joining the team and we are committed to getting this thing going - we can do it!

Dj Slimey likes this.
  9. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  10. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016

The people who are left ARE interested and WILL help if asked, but that's the thing YOU DIDN'T ASK...

While I agree there has been a breakdown in communication I don't think it's fair to blame the community for the problems and issues TPN is going through. I for one enjoy TPN and try to be active on the discord as much as I can, you are right most of us have jobs or life taking up our time. I don't think closing TPN is the right call, I think we are too thinly stretched to efficiently manage the network atm, we should cut back on server hosting and focus on 1- 2 games till we can get back on our feet and build up a stable community.. This will take time it's not something that will happen overnight. Maybe we should let the RSPS's die or at least take the server offline so we don't spend so much on hosting, move on to other games till we have a stable income and then host them again but only for nostalgia purposes? We still have TPN Discord, let's make use of that.

Magilicious and William like this.
  11. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  12. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016

Add me to it as well.

13. Venom Snake

Venom Snake
  14. Joined:
    Nov 28, 2015

make a 7 days to die server pls
    or arma 3 wasteland/zombies
    pls

15. Kinben

Kinben
  16. Joined:
    Oct 6, 2017

There was one that I had created back in January, didn't go very far though.
    7 Days To Die that is.

17. Triage

Triage
  18. Joined:
    Oct 9, 2015

Personally, I don't really want to see a bunch of new content tossed onto PX without an active and engaged leadership. It'll just serve to blueball the playerbase and degrade the nostalgia for PX that we all have and share. The server will be enjoyable, but it's still be susceptible to the same criticism and complaining that PX has always had to endure, and I doubt it will sustain itself for very long.

I'd love to play on PX with Oldschool content, but I don't expect to see it online for longer than a few months. I voted to drop RSPS and focus on other games.

Thank you for addressing our concerns with this poll, and thank you for being transparent with the costs of running this community. It's something that's been lacking for years. With the curtains open, I have a newfound appreciation and respect for you.

Fusimalo likes this.
  19. William

William
  20. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I understand your main concern that there won't be enough leadership, that is why I would most likely be passing main ownership responsibilities to Eric and Adrian so I can focus solely on development and overall management. It seems everyone is excited about the idea of a hybrid Pre-EOC and OSRS server, while it's not super easy to do it would be much quicker than continuing our OSRS source from scratch.

Lots of things to think about and discuss before we make any final decisions for the future of the community. Stay tuned.

Fusimalo and Eric like this.
  21. Meow

Meow
  22. Joined:
    Apr 15, 2015

In my honest opinion.

I wanna say first off, closing it down isn't really the right thing to do. Coming from someone who was there at the start of the whole thing and helped during the first few parts of it, and knowing where you wanted to go with it I don't think that's the way to go. I know what you wanted to do with this community and it never really took off in the way it was imagined, but that doesn't mean it's time to call it off. Of course, when it comes down to money if it's causing you to lose it then it might have to mean closing down RSPS and etc since it isn't viable. At the end of the day you aren't going to keep running it and putting time in if it's losing you money, that's just common sense.

What I do however think though is taking a look at leadership and people who are in charge of things. A lot of problems people have are simply how long things take OR things that are promised aren't delivered. This of course comes down to lack of devs/time for devs to actually MAKE those things happen.
    On top of those issues with you being the top dog if people aren't sure of anything or it comes to making a big decision (IE custom donations in the past. that kind of thing) they'd have to wait around for you. People don't like waiting, they lose interested and go somewhere else. Putting people in a higher place and not having them have to consult you would be the best course, when everything goes through you it can take a while. I'm still friends with people in the staff team, I know communication is still an issue. I've been told these things by them.

People were interested when they heard new things were coming out, but it just never came around. In that sense I think taking the easier option for YOU is the best course. So loading OS data on the 742. Of course you'll have more time to work but I don't think you putting all of it into building an OS server on your own is the way to go. As you said in your original post, you do programming all day for your job. If you come home and all you need to focus on is more programming and making the OS server you're going to burn out insanely quickly. Anyone would.

I want to speak on a point that Slimey made.

People like me and Zerzon might shitpost half the time and got ourselves banned (lol thanks tom) and I managed to create multiple problems and push my luck after my ban/demote, but we're still here and it's not like we want the server to fail. Hell me and him speak in the discord the most probably, among a few other people, simply to make it not dead. Most people get annoyed at our shit though (Appreciate our trash and make us server PR we'll get players in) Me and Adrian kept the server running before when you were finishing uni, we spoke most days just about the server.

Though people can get demotivated from that because of the community, look at how everyone treated Novalto. I used to get woken after I'd been asleep for like an hour after a night shift to reboot the server, or to fix some shit. Never once did I say I wouldn't do it. What happened in the end? I got accused of doing things that I never did. Lies made up. All said to you and others without my knowing. Again, lack of the communication from people and (honestly) bad staff picks and grudges.

Lots of us are here to help, simply ask.

23. Redrum

Redrum
  24. Joined:
    Oct 4, 2015

25. Magilicious

Magilicious
  26. Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016

So I agree with everything you said man, communication definitely is a big issue indeed, especially with important decisions. I can confirm this because I talk to Novalto and he experienced it a lot and I have experienced this first-hand too with the ProdigyCraft server as well.
    To be fair, obviously William probably gets a lot of people asking him things but yeah, communication has to get better for sure, otherwise, I am pretty sure we will fail to get back on track for sure.

Dj Slimey likes this.
  27. kurby 123

kurby 123
  28. Joined:
    Aug 1, 2016

couldn't agree more with what meow said.

29. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  30. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016

I agree with Meow Agreeing with me XD